Sunday, February 26, 2017

3 Images (February 26th, 2017)

These are a day late. . .

 This first one was something that stood out to me since the color orange in this case does stand out, and alerts a person to potential harm. I had hoped this drab location would make the orange pop out and be even more noticeable, emphasizing the harm that could come if you messed with these boxes. Side note: These are behind a Denny's. Take that for what you will.


So, the red bucket on our white shelves. Since this is something that does draw my eye everyday, I wanted to try and take a picture that would demonstrate that. I also tried to incorporate lines that would lead you to the red element. I now wonder if I would have taken the picture from the other end if it would have been more effective, since the lines would vanish into the red bucket.


This was an experiment to see if you really would be drawn to just one movie instantly. Admittedly, the framing isn't perfect, so that may have an additional side effect to the experiment, but hopefully you as a viewer are drawn to the red DVD box for 1941 amidst a sea of blue DVD's.


2 comments:

  1. Matt, you've been so good to comment on a lot of my photos, so I figure I'd return the favor. On all three of these photos, you've done well to isolate the color and my eye is drawn to it. Interestingly, the middle photo is the most interesting. I'm wondering if part of it is the depth created by tone, or the contrast between the greenish light on the shelving with the very red tote. I think some of it though is the fact that there's a bit of tension in the image where the depth cues would have my eye travel left, but the color feels a little stronger, so they rest on the right, bringing the whole image together. In this case, it's a good decision to frame out the vanishing point, to decrease the strength of those converging lines.

    Well done, Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the movie picture, I was immediately drawn to Dune. Not sure why, but it could be because of the bold typeface on the title. I really thought the use of color was strong and drew my eye in the first two pictures. The orange bio-hazard sticker really sticks out against that grey, and the red bucket has a nice to contrast to the white shelves. I thought you also used space really well in the second photo. Great job!

    ReplyDelete