Saturday, January 14, 2017

List of Ten Cool Things

In no particular order, here are ten things I find cool.

1. Ghostbusters (1984)
This is the first movie my parents took me to see as a child and had a huge impression on me. For my wedding we had a Ghostbusters cake, so to say that my family is obsessed with this film is a bit of an understatement. This is my favorite cinematic image of all time, not so much because of composition, lighting or any actual film techniques, but just because it makes me feel good overtime I see it. It is the reason I wanted to become a filmmaker.
 
2. In Search of: D.B. Cooper
This is a two for one since it's one of my favorite tv shows featuring an episode dealing with one of my favorite topics: D.B. Cooper. I love Leonard Nimoy as an actor and as a narrator; and hearing him detailing the exploits of the greatest (and possibly nicest) airplane hijackers of all time is not to be missed. This entire series is worth watching, but this is my favorite episode.

3. Apollo 8 (Earthrise photo)

This is kinda a hat trick of sorts since its's one of my favorite photos of all time, taken using one of my favorite film stocks of all time (Ektachrome), and taken on my favorite space mission of all time (Apollo 8). In 1968, the Apollo 8 mission sent astronauts Frank Borman, James Lovell, and Bill Anders all the way to the moon and back again. They didn't actually land on the moon, just tested the Command Module to make sure an orbit and return would even be possible. They entered orbit of the moon on December 25th, and read from the book of Genesis in a live broadcast back to the earth. This was the first time human eyes saw our planet rise over the surface of another world. You can't make up better stories than this one!

4. Virgil Haynes
My Mother is originally from Michigan, and usually we go back to visit family in the summers. This photo is of the town we visit, and it was taken by a man named Virgil D. Haynes. He's something of a local legend up there, and we have many of his black and white photos hanging in our home. I love his photos because they always remind me of my Mom and spending time in Northern Michigan. The town still looks like this today in many ways, only the cars are different.

5. My Camera Collection
I started collecting cameras a few years ago, after my Dad gave me my Grandpa's old super 8 camera (not pictured). My grandpa was something of a camera nut, and I feel a connection to him whenever I use one of these cameras. I've shot on almost all of them over the years and definitely have my favorites, especially my Canon FTb (way in the back of this photo) which is usually the one I carry with me on trips or special outings. I don't claim that film is better than digital, but I do feel a difference because of the connection I feel with my family members through this medium.

6. Pearl Jam: Nothing As It Seems live in Seattle, Washington. 10/22/01
I've seen Pearl Jam 10(?) times I think, and Eddie Vedder once as a solo act. 4 of those times has been on October 22nd (Pearl Jam's birthday). This was a concert I went to and is probably my favorite version of one of my favorite songs they perform. Mike McCreedy (lead guitarist) is a hero of mine, and this is him in all his guitar shredding glory. Sadly, the guitar peddle he used to create these sounds has been broken beyond repair, so you'll never get a chance to hear them like this anymore!

7. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
(Don't watch the clip unless you don't mind seeing the ending)
This was my favorite movie that I watched last year. Musicals aren't generally my cup of tea, but I think this movie is as near a perfect film as it gets. I selected the last scene of the movie because I think it demonstrates that perfection. If I could craft something that reaches 30% of this I would feel satisfied in my career.

8. George Costanza
Of all tv characters, George is probably my favorite. In fact Seinfeld is quite possibly my favorite television show (besides Star Trek). This scene, based off the legendary Buddy Rich tapes perfectly encapsulates everything that is Costanza. I laugh every time I see it, and I would love to behave this way when people are talking or kicking my chair in a theater.

9. Neil Young
My parents took me to see Crosby, Stills & Nash in San Francisco when I was about two years old. Neil Young wasn't playing with them that night, but he often does play with them and so I'm counting him in that memory. This music was a staple of my childhood, and this is one of my favorite of Neil's songs. It reminds me of my uncle Jeff who passed away a few years ago and I get misty eyed overtime I listen to it.  Overall, Neil's music reminds me not only of my uncle, but all my family and friends as I was growing up.

10. Moby Dick
Ever since I was a kid, I've been trying to read this book from cover to cover. This summer I managed to finally get it off my list of things to do. It is honestly such a great book, and even knowing it was a classic before hand did nothing to prepare me for just how fantastic this book is. The only thing I can compare it to is scripture or Shakespeare, which I know sounds like a grandiose claim, but is the honest truth. I've yet to find something that connects to so many other films and stories as this great novel. Go read it!

14 comments:

  1. That scene from Cherbourg is so sublime! I have an old Super 8 camera as well, it's such a nifty thing to have. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does your super 8 camera still work? Mine just bit the dust and I'm debating paying an arm and a leg for the new one Kodak keeps talking about. . .

      Delete
  2. One thing I've noticed and really appreciate about you is your taste for great things, many of which are quintessentially American, that others may find passé. Classic sitcoms, legendary music, timeless movies--this list is no exception. I think Moby Dick is the icing on the cake. These are all charming, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude we are so similar. I really dig this list. I absolutely love and am fascinated by the space race and the Apollo missions. I grew up watching rockets launch and documentaries about them. Also Neil Young is amazing. Ohio is one of my favorite Crosby, Stills and Nash songs. Seinfeld changed television. A show about nothing but there's so much to love in that show. It's friends, it's the office, it's so much of those shows that stemmed from it and they are so much of it. Also thought about putting my cameras on there as well as DS9. It's hard to confine it into a small list but this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you ever read Rocket Men by Craig Nelson? One of my favorite books, all about the Apollo missions (with specific focus on Apollo 11) it is incredible.

      Delete
  4. I'm curious about your opinion on the Ghostbusters reboot...we'll talk about it later.

    I think every single think in this list fits perfectly together, I feel one compliments the other. I don't know how to explain it but your list just makes sense, it's all American classics!
    I remember I went to your firesidechat and you've talked about your passion for film, I really admire that. You understand the importance of actual film and recognize the beauty and magic behind the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we'll have to talk about it. I'll give you a hint though: not a fan :)

      Delete
  5. Nice! I have four Super 8 cameras (actually now that I am thinking about it, one may be 8mm). Two don't work, but they are still beautiful! My favorite thing on your list is George Costanza because seriously, it's George. Seinfeld is so awesome. I am not nearly as accomplished of an enthusiast of the show as you are, but you can tell a lot about a man by the amount of Seinfeld references he can make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet. I'm gonna bring some of my old lenses for you to take a look at if you want any. Also, I think we'll need to shoot on some old glass when you shoot my next project if you are familiar with it. I've always wanted to try that, just never got an adapter. . .

      Delete
  6. I have no shame in joining the applause for your addition of George Costanza to your top 10, well done! He's the worst.

    Additionally, I always have a unique respect for everyone who enjoys and actually reads classic literature such as Moby Dick. It's unique because it's something I've tried to do mainly because I know it's good for me, but haven't enjoyed reading THAT much to actually make it worthwhile. So the fact that not only have you read it, but you then added it to your top 10 list deserves some amount of reverence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really can't recommend it enough. I've been trying to read more classics each year. I was pretty successful last year, though I made it easy on myself reading H.G. Wells and others who I genuinely enjoy reading. Melville was trickier, but worth it. Also, George is the best. I'm probably more like him than I'd like to admit (though I'd like to think I don't lie or have his mean streak, but I would probably eat a donut that was above the rim in a garbage can).

      Delete
  7. Wow, you listed several things that I've heard of but never really checked out before. Now I am systematically going through them all, and it's pretty wonderful. I'm not sure that I've ever heard of the Apollo 8 mission before, but that is so beautiful. What a special moment in world history, and in civilization's growth. Is there a movie about it? There ought to be. Your camera collection is amazing by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apollo 8 is amazing. I don't know of any film, but there is an episode done by Tom Hanks for the HBO series "From the Earth to the Moon" that is really good. That series was kinda a precursor to "Band of Brothers". Not quite as well constructed, but you can see how they were learning what to do so that "Band of Brothers" turned out so amazing.

      Delete