Saturday, January 14, 2017

3 Images (Jan 14th, 2017)

 I took advantage of the snow on Thursday to capture this image. I knew I wanted to get someone with an umbrella, so I waited outside till two people passed. In terms of story, first off this reminded me of the Bob Dylan album cover for The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, so it had that emotional tie for me, but also I liked that this "friend" wasn't trying to cover both of them with his umbrella. So I think there are a couple things people could read into this image. Overall it was a success, it's not perfect in terms of framing, and maybe it was a little too spontaneous, but I feel it captured a moment.

This was an accident, but I found my kid asleep in the department store under the shoes. I feel like this image conveys a good story where we can all relate to how boring it can be to sit patiently while our parents shop. I also like that the shoes are lit and if we pretend for a moment that it's not my kid, it feels a little like maybe the shoes are more important to the shopping parents than the kid is. Once again not perfect, my framing is a bit off, but I think it tells a story.

My parents visited this weekend, so I took advantage of free models and had them pose outside by a fire lamp. In this case, once again I'm sure there was a better way to frame everything, but I'm pleased with the framing overall, and really I liked their expressions more than anything. I think a good expression might take precedence over perfect framing. The glow from the fire and their smiles hint that they are thinking of good memories or just enjoying a moment of warmth on a cold night.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the pictures have a sense of realism. The first one is simple but as you mentioned it tells a story, you can imagine a lot of things by the way this people is walking together, I get the feeling that I am walking behind them.

    I think the second one is your strongest photo as you mentioned, there are many different ways in which you can photograph a moment like this one, however you captured it as you saw it and that is part of the charm. I am that kid every time I have to go shopping for hours and I think everyone can relate to that moment.

    The last picture is probably the weakest, it has that same realism and I love the sincerity of the subjects. I was a little bit confused by what they were looking at, the bright light leads my eye to that hot spot and it's harder to concentrate in the subject matter, I also think the subjects need to have more space in the frame.

    good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree the last image is definitely the weakest, and for all the reasons you stated. If you consider that I got my parents to pose at all for an "artsy" photo, then it really is a miracle. Since I'm the only one who knows that though, it probably doesn't matter much! Ha ha!

      Delete